We look forward to welcoming you and your students to the Arts Center. Here are some tips to make the most of your visit.
What to expect from your visit
Exhibitions at the John Michael Kohler Arts Center rotate twice a year. That means there are many opportunities to experience something new and different.
Arts Center education staff is eager to assist you in curating a program that connects with your classroom’s curriculum and enhances your visit. Contact us for more information.
Book a docent-led tour and hands-on workshop experience
- Request your tour by emailing email@example.com.
- If you are outside the city limits of Sheboygan and have booked both a guided tour and workshop, apply for a matching bus grant. We may be able to match 50% of your bus fee, not to exceed $100.
- Tell us about any special needs when you request your tour. The Arts Center is wheelchair accessible. We would be happy to discuss any other requirements with you.
Before your tour
- GROUP SIZE: One (1) adult chaperone is required per every ten (10) participants. There is no charge for accompanying teachers, chaperones, caregivers, or bus drivers. For logistical reasons, we ask that groups book their tours and workshops at least a week in advance.
- CHANGE IN GROUP NUMBER: Requests for additional participants must be made no later than 48 hours before your visit. We do not offer refunds for changes in participant numbers.
- CANCELLATIONS: Bookings may be canceled no later than two weeks prior to the scheduled visit.
- PARKING: There is parking for buses on the street outside the Arts Center and on 6th Street.
- HEAD COUNT: Confirm your head count with the education department as early as possible. Please note: No changes in head count or program/tour will be accepted after the 48-hour deadline.
- ORGANIZE STUDENT GROUPS: It is helpful to divide larger groups in advance of your visit. Name tags are highly recommended. We will discuss how to split up your group when you book your tour.
- FOOD: Lunch can be purchased for smaller groups by booking ahead with the ARTcafe.
When you arrive
- Enter the ArtS Center’s main entrance on New York Avenue. Education staff will greet your group on arrival.
- Buses can park on the street opposite and on 6th Street where there are no parking meters.
- Be on time; please arrive no more than 15 minutes early. Note that if you are late, your tour may be shortened. If you are delayed, please call the Atrium Reception Desk at 920-458-6144.
Tours and Workshops
At the Arts Center we offer workshops tailored to each age group; each experience is inspired by the exhibition and exhibiting artists. Pre-K participants use foam core for this workshop; K through 4th grade students work with wood and fiber. A silk painting workshop is available for 5th through12th grade and college through adult.
Half-hour, docent-led tour of the exhibitions and hands-on experience: $4 per student
Grades one through four
45-minute tour of the exhibitions and 45-minute hands-on experience: $5
Grades five through twelve
Hour-long, docent-led tour of the exhibitions and hands-on experience: $6
College and university group visits
Hour-long, docent-led tour: $4
Hands-on workshop: $6
Hour-long curator talk: $6.
Many university groups ask for a tailor-made experience; we are more than happy to arrange that. Call our education team at 920-694 4546 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about our Exhibition Artists-In-Residence (ExAIR) program by clicking here. Select your tour or workshop now!